Problem solving an essential skill for Business analystCategory: General Posted:May 30,2015 By: admin
- Problem solving is an important form of critical thinking.
- Considered the most complex of all intellectual functions, problem solving has been defined as “higher-order cognitive process that requires the modulation and control of more routine or fundamental skills (Goldstein & Levin, 1987)”.
- Problems occur if an organism when he does not know how to proceed from the current state to original desired state.
- Problems need solutions and effective alternatives to get resolved.
Barriers to Effective Problem Solving:
- Failure to recognize the existence of problem
- Conceiving the solution for the problem too narrowly
- Making a hasty choice and decision
- Failure to consider all the alternatives and their consequences
- Failure to consider the solution is feasible for any alternative
To solve a problem effectively, one must first be willing to accept the problem by acknowledging that the existence of the problem and committing to solve the problem.
- Strategies for the problem solving help to find the motivation and commitment effectively complete the problem-solving process:
- List the advantages– how will solving the problem help you?
- Formalize your acceptance for the problem- formal dedication to solve problem
- Accept responsibility for the problem– we have the potential to accept and control the solution of the problem.
- Create a “worst-case” scenario alternative- what are consequences of your actions or in actions
- Identify the weakness– what is preventing you from solving the problem effectively?
Problem solving is an essential process for Business analysts. To improve the solutions and alternatives, the analyst must understand the problem and use effective technique to resolve the problem.
For BUSINESS ANALYSIS Training needs, Visit http://www.zarantech.com/course-list/ba/business-analyst/. Call 515-978-9036 or email [email protected]